trenchard

Friday, April 07, 2006

Pamela June Cavendish

Pamela June Cavendish, who died at the Dower House, Holker Hall, Cark-in-Cartmell, Cumbria, 4 April, 2006, was the widow of Richard Edward Osborne Cavendish, JP, DL (1917-72), of Holker Hall, scion of the Dukes of Devonshire, and was mother of the Conservative life peer Baron Cavendish of Furness.

She was Pamela June Thomas, a daughter of Hugh Lloyd Thomas, CMG, CVO (b. 28 Apr, 1888; d. 22 Feb, 1938), Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary, British Embassy, Paris, 1935-38, by his wife, the former Hon. Guendaline Ada Bellew, daughter of the Hon. Richard Bellew, and sister of the 5t Baron Bellew. Pamela's paternal grandfather, William Lloyd Thomas, of Tredilion Park, Abergavenny, married Ada Margaret, daughter of Sir Charles Hobhouse, Bt.

Pamela's sister Sylvia, who died as the result of a motor accident in 1967, was the 1st wife of the 5th Baron Harlech, KCMG, PC (1918-85).

She married Richard Cavendish (a grandson of Lord Richard Frederick Cavendish, CB, CMG) in 1937; and leaves issue, (Richard) Hugh, Lord Cavenish of Furness (b. 1941), Edward Osborne Cavenish, (b. 1955), and daughters, Georgiana (b. 1939); Harriet (b. 1944), and Susan (b. 1949).

The funeral takes place on Monday 10 April , 2006, at St John the Baptist Church, Flookburgh.


Source: The Times


***

1 comment:

The Magpie said...

I met Pamela Cavendish when at the Hall a few years ago researching my family records and found her to be a cheerful and a delightful person. My father, Roy Preston, I know thought her splendid.

It had been my hope to try to arrange to see her again later this year, to take photographs of the Hall for the Preston family website when it is sufficiently built. Before his own illness and death, I believe my father had already made some such arrangement. Unfortunately, I have not been able to meet all his commitments or to contact all those he corresponded with.

May I pass on my condolences, both for my family and for my parents, whom I know would have wished the family well had they still been with us.